Monday, August 22, 2011

Wasabi Cucumber Salad


What is a great side dish for a summer cookout that everyone loves? When I posed this question to my family, my cousin Alan told me about wasabi cucumber salad. I was a little hesitant due to my aversion to all things spicy, but he reassured me that it is a manageable level of spiciness and that I would really like it. I made it for our back-to-school get together last night and came home with an empty bowl, so I think everyone enjoyed it! The sesame seeds and oil add a lot of flavor, as does the wasabi, both surprising complements to the fresh cucumbers.

Ingredients:
  • 2 tsp. wasabi powder
  • 2 large cucumbers, peeled and sliced thinly
  • 2 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
  • 2 tsp. sugar
  • 1 tsp. sesame oil
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 2 scallions, chopped
  • 1 tbsp. toasted sesame seeds

Directions:
In a medium-sized bowl, mix wasabi and 1 tsp. warm water. Let sit for 5 minutes.
After wasabi has thickened into a paste, stir in the vinegar and sugar.
Next, add in sesame oil, salt, and pepper.
Just prior to serving, add cucumbers, scallions, and sesame seeds. Mix well.

1 comment:

  1. We are making this tonight! I know I will love it! Thanks for posting! Jane

    ReplyDelete